Friday 7 June 2013

In The Garden

So, having actually finished some books in the last few days, I'm also actually managing to take the time to write up some of them. Looking back at the list of what I've read (I've now hit twenty, woo!), it seems there's a fair amount that I haven't covered on here, since I've been spectacularly failing to update for TWO MONTHS. It's going to take me a while to catch up on that, but I've at least published the current list below.

In terms of reading list (another thing that needs updating), I think I'm going to be moving slightly away from trying to stick to the recommendations I've been gathering from people. This is partly because I want to work through the books that I have sitting on my shelves (or eReader/iPhone), and also to try and encourage me to get some of the momentum back up, which I think will be helped by reading whatever I feel like at the time, or is closest to hand. For those from whom I have gathered recommendations - sorry! I'm still going to try and stick to some of these where I can, but not as rigidly as I had originally planned.

This evening I finished listening to the audiobook of 'In The Garden of Beasts', by Erik Larson, read by Stephen Hoye. The book is a narrative history account of life in Germany during the rise of the Nazi party and Adolf Hitler from the perspective of an outsider - centrally William Dodd, the US ambassador to Germany from 1933 - 1937, and his family.

Drawing heavily on documents, letters, dispatches and memos, as well as personal accounts of those involved, it builds an interesting picture of some of the practicalities and minutiae of life in a unique period in world history, in addition to the more generally known events of the period.

Having studied some of this period some time ago for GCSE history, but not having really revisited since, I had some background on the larger global political events that took place. That said, however, the fact that I lacked any recent familiarity with the period, combined with the difference in focus made for a very different perspective.

The balance of narrative and sections drawn directly from the relevant documents makes this a good way to approach the topic, getting a level of supporting detail without risking becoming too dry. It's certainly not a light read, however, given the subject matter. There's actually a good amount of humour injected into the book where appropriate, which feels like a necessary relief.

If you're looking for something a bit more serious, this is worth a look.

More updates on the way soon, see below for my current list.


Week 23
20/52

Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman (2006)
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern (2011)
The Revolution of Saint Jone - Lorna Mitchell (1988)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - John Le Carré (1974)
I Can Make You Hate - Charlie Brooker (2012)
Looking For Jake and Other Stories - China Miéville (2005)
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett (1989)
The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter (1979)
Jobs* - Walter Isaacson (2012)
The Plague - Albert Camus (1947)
Ready Player One* - Ernest Cline (2011)
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut (1969)
The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ - Phillip Pullman (2010)
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (1931)
Storm Front* - Jim Butcher (2000)
Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman (2005)
Fool Moon* - Jim Butcher (2001)
Iron Man: Extremis - Warren Ellis (2006)
How To Eat Out - Giles Coren (2001) 
How To Be A Woman - Caitlin Moran (2011)
In The Garden of Beasts* - Erik Larson (2011)

Currently Reading:
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (1953)

No comments:

Post a Comment